The Portugal Post Logo

Ryanair to Close Ponta Delgada (Azores) Base, Threatening 10 Routes and 80 Jobs

Transportation,  Economy
Boeing 737-800 at Ponta Delgada airport apron with Azores hills in the background
Published January 29, 2026

A last-minute scramble to keep low-cost connections alive between mainland Portugal and the mid-Atlantic islands failed to materialise, and Ryanair now intends to shutter its only Azorean base just weeks before the Easter travel rush. The carrier insists the decision is final, yet regional leaders hope a compromise can still surface.

What Portugal-based readers need to know quickly

Ponta Delgada hub closes in March, cancelling 10 island-focused routes

No formal talks under way between Ryanair and the Governo Regional dos Açores

Up to 80 local aviation jobs at risk alongside knock-on losses in hospitality

Travellers holding spring tickets will be offered refunds or rerouting once official notices go out

Why this matters beyond cheap fares

The Azores depend on year-round, affordable air links to entice visitors and to stem the outward flow of young residents seeking work on the mainland. Removing a low-cost carrier strips a crucial layer of connectivity between Lisbon, Porto, Terceira and North American long-haul links that feed through Ponta Delgada (PDL). Tourism economists at the Universidade dos Açores estimate Ryanair carried roughly 350,000 passengers to São Miguel last year—about a quarter of all arrivals at the island’s main gateway.

Ryanair’s side of the story

Chief executive Michael O’Leary told reporters there is “no active dialogue with the regional government” after months of disagreement over airport user fees at João Paulo II Airport. The airline argues that higher tariffs proposed by ANA-VINCI, the private concession holder, would erase the razor-thin margins typical on island routes priced at under €30 each way. Ryanair said it will redeploy two Boeing 737-8 aircraft and crews to expansion markets in Spain and Italy where incentive packages are “more predictable”.

A brief timeline of the fallout

2015 – Ryanair launches PDL base with public fanfare and promotional fares from €19.99.

2022 – ANA-VINCI submits a schedule of gradual fee increases across its Portuguese airports, including +11% at PDL.

Late 2023 – Regional lawmakers pass a motion urging the company to maintain services but decline to subsidise the differential.

January 2024 – Ryanair files a slot-return notice and starts selling seats only until mid-March 2024.

Economic stakes for the mid-Atlantic archipelago

Local hotel association AHRESP calculates that each inbound Ryanair flight injects roughly €45,000 into the island economy through accommodation, meals and excursions. If the base closure goes ahead, the organisation predicts a seasonal dip of 6-8% in bed occupancy for spring and early summer. Staffing cuts are equally worrying: ground-handling firm Groundforce Açores has already circulated voluntary transfer options to employees.

Lisbon and Ponta Delgada responses

The national infrastructure ministry rebuffed suggestions of an emergency subsidy, arguing it would breach EU state-aid rules. In contrast, Regional President José Manuel Bolieiro floated the idea of a limited marketing partnership—paying Ryanair to promote the Azores abroad—but conceded that talks have not progressed. TAP Air Portugal and SATA Air Açores, both partially state-owned, signal they can upgauge capacity yet stop short of matching Ryanair’s price point.

Advice for affected passengers

Travellers holding Ryanair tickets dated after 17 March should receive e-mail notifications once the airline finalises the pull-out schedule. Options typically include:

Free rebooking on an earlier Ryanair service before closure

Transfer onto another Ryanair route of similar length within 14 days of original date

Full cash refund processed within 5 working days, as mandated by EU261Frequent fliers may also review SATA’s ‘Ilhas’ discount or TAP’s ”residente” fares, which remain accessible to Azorean residents.

Wider context: the low-cost chessboard in Portugal

Ryanair’s retrenchment occurs while competitor easyJet adds Faro-Madeira frequencies and startup Flyr announces a Porto-Paris launch. The ebb and flow underscores how airport charges and local incentives can swiftly redirect aircraft between secondary European bases. For Portugal, that means every region must weigh the short-term lure of fees against the long-term dividends of tourism.

Key takeaways for readers scanning the headlines

Azores face a connectivity gap unless alternative carriers step in.– Rising airport fees, not passenger demand, spurred Ryanair’s exit.– Job losses are likely concentrated in ground services and cabin crews.– Residents and holidaymakers should act now to secure alternate spring flights.

The coming weeks will reveal whether political pressure or a late-stage deal can avert the closure—or whether the Ryanair logo will indeed vanish from Ponta Delgada’s apron by March.

Follow ThePortugalPost on X


The Portugal Post in as independent news source for english-speaking audiences.
Follow us here for more updates: https://x.com/theportugalpost